In our website survey back in February, respondents asked for more posts about what the Observatory teams are working on and what research reports had been published. This is the first post listing recently published reports. If you prefer to receive immediate updates when new research is published, subscribe to our RSS and email updates.
Rural Regeneration Zone Monitoring
Published 16th June 2010
This is our fourth annual report monitoring progress towards the strategic aims of the Rural Regeneration Zone‘s implementation plan for 2009-2012.
Worklessness in the West Midlands
Published 7th June 2010
In previous research, we showed several demographic factors are linked to higher than average levels of worklessness. We refer to these as ‘risk factors.’ We’ve looked in more depth at the impact of some of these risk factors—alone and in combination with each other—on the probability of worklessness in the West Midlands and England. This analysis has allowed us, for the first time, to look at the effects of these risk factors in isolation.
- Worklessness in the West Midlands: the impact of demographics and multiple risk factors – executive summary (pdf, 326kb)
- Worklessness in the West Midlands: the impact of demographics and multiple risk factors – full report (pdf, 872kb)
West Midlands Economic Strategy Monitoring Framework
Published 28th May 2010
This is the third annual update reporting on performance in the West Midlands against the monitoring indicators for the West Midlands Economic Strategy.
Growth into a Low Carbon Economy
Published 8th March 2010
We’ve worked with Atkins this year to develop a better understanding of opportunities the low carbon economy can deliver in the West Midlands.
- Low carbon economy in the West Midlands: main report (pdf, 767kb)
- Birmingham briefing (pdf, 405kb)
- Coventry briefing (pdf, 400kb)
- Dudley briefing (pdf, 399kb)
- Herefordshire briefing (pdf, 421kb)
- Sandwell briefing (pdf, 361kb)
- Shropshire briefing (pdf, 391kb)
- Solihull briefing (pdf, 361kb)
- Staffordshire briefing (pdf, 370kb)
- Stoke- on-Trent briefing (pdf, 361kb)
- Telford and Wrekin briefing (pdf, 364kb)
- Walsall briefing (pdf, 376kb)
- Warwickshire briefing (pdf, 356kb)
- Wolverhampton briefing (pdf, 359kb)
- Worcestershire briefing (pdf, 389kb)
We also worked with Atkins to produce a detailed study for the local authorities in the City Region:
- Low carbon economy in the City Region (main report) (pdf, 968kb)
Monitoring the West Midlands Climate Change Action Plan
Published 26th April 2010
Our monitoring report presents the current position of the West Midlands across several indicators around energy, CO2 emissions, electricity, industry, households, transport and renewable energy.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions Monitoring
Published 26th April 2010
Dynamics of worklessness in the West Midlands
Published 7 April 2010
This report aims to understand to what extent individuals are moving in and out of the labour market, entering work for short but unsustained periods, and/or making repeated benefit claims.
- Dynamics of worklessness – full report (pdf, 467kb)
Analysis of sub-regional dynamics in the West Midlands
Published 23 March 2010
This report, on functional relationships between places in the West Midlands, was published to assist with development of Local Economic Assessments and sub-regional relationships.